Swim Smooth Hamilton Squads
What, where, how and wherefore
If you can swim 200m of freestyle (continuous) and would like to join an adult swim squad then Swim Smooth Hamilton based at the Fastlane Fitness indoor Pool is definitely for you. Being a full time professional swim coaching program means that we can offer you up to fourteen weekly squad training sessions to cater for a variety of needs and schedules that are focused towards making you a better freestyle swimmer both in the pool and in open water. Each session has dedicated lanes set aside, with a maximum of 6 swimmers in each lane, for novice swimmers through to seasoned open water swimmers and triathletes.
Check out the full timetable: here
In a given week we like to operate a regular cycle or structure which ensures that you know what to expect from each session and equally what benefits that session will give you from a fitness and technique perspective.
This is what you can expect at the various sessions throughout the week:
- Monday 5.35am, 6.40am & 9.30am: A pure technique session, offering you the chance to come in and work on your stroke. This is not a big volume session, nor is it physically hard, but it does contain a lot of drilling and work on refining your efficiency in the water. A great way to start the week and particularly suitable to those who've recently done a 1-2-1 Video Analysis session.
- Tuesday 5.35am: This 1.5hr session is for those who have a diesel engine and like longer, challenging swim sets at moderate paces and with a good focus on technique. An excellent way of building endurance.
- Tuesday 6.30pm, Wednesday 5.35am, 6.40am & 9.30am: This 1hr session is similar to the Tuesday 5.35am session and is for those who are looking to improve their diesel engine through longer, challenging swim sets at moderate paces and with a good focus on technique. An excellent way of building endurance.
- Thursday 5.35am: Taking components of the Monday's technique session with the inclusion of speed/anaerobic threshold work to create a 1.5hr session focused on technique endurance where you are building endurance while at the same time focusing on your technique.
- Thursday 6.30pm, Friday 5.35am, 6.40am & 9:30am: Similar to the Thursday 5.35am session but only 1hr. The session starts with components of Monday's technique sessions and transitions into improving your aerobic (endurance) performance by tactically shifting your threshold curve to the right, meaning that you can perform at the same speed for less effort OR perform at a faster speed for the same effort. How do you do this? By working specifically at paces just slightly below and slightly above this threshold point. How do you know where this point is? You need to test regularly for it. Is that hard? No, quite the opposite, it's very simple and if done in the right manner and using some simple training tools (like the Finis Tempo Trainer) this session can be both very challenging, highly rewarding and, surprisingly enough, fun!
- Saturday 7.00am: This is a free un-coached session. Over winter these sessions range in distance from between 4.0km to 6.0km and during the summer months are conducted at Lake Puketirini, Huntly. Essential pace awareness work in the pool and some specific open water skills in the lake.
Fees & Charges
There is no membership fee to join the Swim Smooth Hamilton Squad - we are not a club and so some of our swimmers are likely to hold memberships with other clubs but elect to swim with us because they like our coaching - we hope you do too!
PAYG credits come in the following denominations:
SINGLE (1-year expiry) for $12.00*, for swimmers attending on a casual basis
10 (3-month expiry) for $100.00* or $10.00 per session, for swimmers swimming on average 1-2 times per week
25 (6-month expiry) for $225.00* or $9.00 per session, for swimmers swimming on average 2-3 times per week
50 (9-month expiry) for $350.00* or $7.00 per session, for swimmers swimming on average 3-4+ times per week
*prices correct for the period 1st September 2017 to 31st August 2018. Prices do not include pool entry (payable to the pool). The pool offers various payment schedules starting at $7.50 for a general admission. For further details of the pool we use click: here
The expiry period of the credits commences when you use the first credit to attend a session from that block purchase, not from when you buy the actual credits; because of this you can pay for sessions ahead of a holiday for example and not worry about them expiring whilst you are away. Swimmers can also request a single 1-month extension to any of the credit denominations in the event of illness or injury occurring once a credit block has commenced.
Booking and Payment System
Through an industry-leading company called MINDBODY I believe we have sourced the very best and most user-friendly online payment and attendance management system.
Each time you come for a session you can now sign in with a special app on your own phone / tablet or (if you don't have one of these devices) simply find and select your name on the newly mounted iPad at the pool and bosh! You're done! See below on how to choose the best method for your user needs.
Your account will automatically notify you when you're running low with an email and/or SMS and if using the app you can opt to safely store your credit card information* so that it's there for you at the click of a button the next time you come to purchase more credits.
By setting up a simple online account for each of you that you can access either through your computer and this website, or through a special app if you have an iOS device (iPhone / iPad) or Android device (Samsung Galaxy and these others), we request that you let us know up to 12 hours before your session if you will NOT be attending with the simple click of a CANCEL button in your account.
How to Use the PAYG System and Initial Set Up
Please follow the simple step-by-step set-up instructions below to get started. You will only need to complete these steps once. Your time and effort on this is very much appreciated and will save you (and us!) a lot of effort down the line. This set-up process should take you no longer than 10-15 minutes.
You now have two options for paying for PAYG credits and how you will sign in for each session you attend, which we'll refer to as "The Traditional Way" and "The Techno Kid Way" - both of which involve paying online and upfront of your attendance to a session, and both of which now allow you to easily notify us when you cannot attend. The major change now is that you'll hold an easily accessible online account with us where you can check your credits, book more sessions and easily cancel if you need to.
The choice between the two usage methods comes down largely to:
1. the devices that you already own to access the internet (phone, tablet, computer or laptop)
2. how technology proficient you see yourself (though the Techno Kid Way is significantly easier and more mobile-friendly / convenient once you try it, so potentially you could be a Techno Kid too even if you don't normally see yourself in this light!)
3. you might also add into the equation how resistant to change you might see yourself or open to trying something new if it works way better than before!
So, which should you choose? For us, it doesn't matter, the choice is entirely yours:
Traditional Way: You only have access to a computer with an internet connection, but not a phone which can host an app (either iOS or Android). You want to just rock up, sign in, and be on your way. You're happy to be notified automatically by email and / or SMS when your credits are running low and are happy to login easily using the portal below to manage your schedule when you know you might not be able to attend. This way takes a little less effort initially setting up, but is not quite as swift and smooth as the Techno Kid Way for ongoing use.
The Techno Kid Way: you want an easy way to pay, sign in, manage your schedule and let us know with the tap of a button when you won't be here. You have access to a phone running the iOS or Android operating systems (i.e. iPhones, Samsung Galaxy or these devices). You want a system that stores your credit card details safely and securely (if you want to let it) and then allows one-tap secure payments to ensure you don't waste an extra second of your valuable time. You want to push ahead of the queue for the new iPad kiosk and sign in on the pool deck with a simple app on your device, heck, you might be so organised that you do that before you even turn up to the pool, so easy is the new system! This way takes a little more effort initially setting up, but will be very swift and smooth for ongoing use.
Setup - The Traditional Way
1. Sign up to the portal by clicking on the link in number 6 below and then clicking on the MY INFO tab - fill in your appropriate details e.g. email/username, password, mobile, etc. You may need to add your address details as well at this point. Click Save.
2. Once you have created your account, under Billing Information, you may wish to elect to securely store your credit card details for future one-click use. The system uses a PCI Level 1 security interface to safeguard your information. We - Swim Smooth Hamilton - never see that information.
3. You can now top-up your account using your credit card by opting for a 10, 25, 50 credit denomination (or a casual pass). To do this go to the ONLINE STORE tab and from the Services drop-down menu choose Swim Squad Sessions and then select your chosen credit denomination and then proceed to check out. Ezidebit HealthFit MB; will show on your credit card statement.
4. Your credits will be added to your account and the expiry will commence when you use the first one from that batch. You can now book your swim sessions under the Swim Squad Sessions Tab.
5. You can check your account credit balance any time by re-visiting this website and logging in using the LOGIN button at the top of every page.
6. Sign up to the portal: here
Setup - The Techno Kid Way
1. Sign up in the portal by clicking on the link in number 7 below and then clicking on the MY INFO tab - fill in your appropriate details e.g. email/username, password, mobile, etc. You may need to add your address details as well at this point. Click Save.
2. Switch now to your iOS or Android device and download the free 'GO Beyond Physical Limits' app by going to your Apple App Store or Google Play Store and searching for 'GO Beyond Physical Limits' and elect to download the free app.
3. Once successfully downloaded, create a 'GO Beyond Physical Limits' app account using the same username and unique password you've just used in Step 1 above. This ensures you only have one password to ever remember - sweet!
4. In the page that then opens up, click the Menu tab in the top left corner and then under the My Account tab you can elect to add a credit card under the Payment Methods link under your account name. This will then be securely stored for future use. The system uses a PCI Level 1 security interface to safeguard your information. We - Swim Smooth Hamilton - never see that information. Add some credit if you need it right now. Ezidebit HealthFit MB will show on your credit card statement.
5. In the Menu tab again, if you wish for your Swim Squad Sessions schedule to sync directly with your phone's calendar, click on Settings, turn on Calendar Syncing, choose the calendar that you already have set up in your phone as the most appropriate to sync to and finally choose an Alert at a pre-determined time before the session to remind you to come on down and have some fun at the pool!
6. The only other configuration you might like to make is also under the Menu tab and is the Ask me to sign into class setting - turning this on will ask you if you want to sign in for the session you have scheduled prior to the commencement of that session, saving you time on the pool deck and allowing you to leave your phone in the car or even at home.
7. Sign up to the portal: here
Now that you're nicely set-up for the new PAYG system, you've done all the hard work and can just continue showing up for the sessions you have allocated for, unless you notify us otherwise. Here's how you're likely to do that:
The Traditional Way
• To sign in on pool deck: you will use the iPad kiosk situated at the shallow end of the pool. This will simply require you to scroll to find your name and to press only the check box to the right of your name. You're now signed in and can get in and swim. One credit will be deducted from your account.
• To add more credits: you need to sign into your account in the portal below and in the Online Store tab under Services, select which card denomination you want to add to your account - 10 / 25 / 50 sessions or a single Casual pass. This will then appear in your Account under My Info.
• To cancel a session up to 12 hours before: you need to sign into your account in the portal below, under the My Schedule sub-heading of the My Info tab, search for the session you can no longer attend (most probably the following day in this scenario) and elect to CANCEL in order to avoid having a session deducted from your account. You're most likely to need to do this in the event of being sick or being called into work at the last moment etc. Doing so releases your place to someone on the Wait List and helps us out massively by ensuring we fill our booked lanes - thank you in advance!
The Techno Kid Way
• To sign in on pool deck: you will likely avoid the queues for the single iPad kiosk at the pool by simply Signing In using the 'GO Beyond Physical Limits' app on your phone by navigating to the My Schedule tab and checking Sign In on the appropriate session. You're now signed in and can get in and swim. One credit will be deducted from your account which will be reflected immediately under the My Passes link from the My Info tab.
• To add more credits: you need to login to the 'GO Beyond Physical Limits' app on your phone, click on the Menu tab and then Buy Services and select which card denomination you want to add to your account - 10 / 25 / 50 sessions or a single Casual pass. If you've clicked your credit card this will be a one-click purchase - boom!
• To cancel a session up to 12 hours before: you need to sign into your 'GO Beyond Physical Limits' app, navigate to the session you wish to cancel in the My Schedule tab (most probably the following day in this scenario) and elect to 'CANCEL' in order to avoid having a session deducted from your account. You're most likely to need to do this in the event of being sick or being called into work at the last moment etc. Doing so releases your place to someone on the Wait List and helps us out massively by ensuring we fill our booked lanes - thank you in advance!
Squad Rules - play by the rules and everyones happy!
Squad Rules # 1: Unless otherwise advised, please use the clock and set-off exactly 5 seconds behind the person in front of you. You do not (and should not) try to catch them up immediately, as whilst this gives you a draft and makes it feel easier, you're not getting the best possible workout that you could and it also annoys the person in front. The coach will announce when drafting is actively encouraged, but especially on drill / technique sets, please keep your distance to allow everyone to perform at their best.
Squad Rules # 2: Always keep to the left and swim in a clockwise direction (like you would on the road). Stay close to the lane rope and avoid swimming in the middle of the lane as this is when head-on collisions occur or whacking of arms. This is especially important in Lanes 3/4 (fastest lane) as there is a good range of ability within these lanes especially in the faster, harder sessions.
Squad Rules # 3: If someone is catching you up and you are aware that they wish to get past you, either pull over to the left (keep swimming), or better still, when you reach the end of the pool pull off to the left, stop, and let them past here.
Squad Rules # 4: Be vigilant when you are pushing off in the middle of a set - is someone coming up to the wall to effectively lap you? If so, don't push off immediately in front of them as this is very frustrating. Let them through and then when it is clear jump into a spot behind them.
Squad Rules # 5: When using fins or pull buoys, chances are the speed order (pecking order if you like) of the lane often changes. If you know that you are particularly quick with fins on, don't be afraid to ask to go in front of the person in front of you.
Squad Rules # 6: Aim to pace yourself well, this is ultimately what keeps the lane flowing really well and makes the most out of your own practice time.
Squad Rules # 7: Aim to do your drill and technique work to the best of your ability. Don't feel pressured to rush through this aspect of the session. I will quite regularly slide to the back of the lane in the squad which I swim with when working on my technique, even if it means missing the odd lap. A drill worth doing is a drill worth doing well - please always remember that.
Squad Rules # 8: Try to keep all your kit neatly organised on the pool deck - a mesh kit bag is highly advisable and prevents other swimmers mistakenly walking off or using your kit. Also, naming your kit in bold black marker is ALWAYS worth doing!
Squad Rules # 9: Lastly, be nice to your fellow lane swimmers...it might be early in the morning and you might be a little grumpy normally at this time, but there's never an excuse to get irritable with anyone in the lane. If there's a problem, let the coach know or just diplomatically address it with your swimming buddy. We're all here to have a good time and not feel pressured when we swim.